Sunday, 8 February 2009

A Memory

This happened on Tuesday, five days ago.

I'm shopping with mum at the supermarket, and we've split up [this often happens, btw]. I'm pushing the trolley, and she's gone to look for something. I'm pushing the trolley near the checkouts , slowly, and taking the sights in.

I see that there's a young couple unloading their trolley, and they have a child in the child holder-thingy. Its a small girl, and she's not happy that her parents are occupied, and she's trying to get their attention. She's beginning to make some noises, but they're not yet tantrum-ish, though one can see that coming within five minutes or so.

So I slow down the trolley completely, right next to her and give her a look. It not a mean look by any means, just a look. There's a half smile playing round my lips, and I'm trying not to laugh. She looks back at me. One thing about small kids, is that they're not afraid. She looks me right in the eye. Its only a few seconds, but if feels like a lot longer.

And then..she laughs at me. Its a really cute laugh. And I break out into a full smile, and move on. The parents have been oblivious to this, and are startled when she laughs (remember this only took seconds), and chuckle as I move on. Laughter brings laughter.

Its a beautiful memory, and one I'd like to keep.

Ahh...kids. What joy they bring into our lives.

One day, inshaAllah.

No comments:

Post a Comment