The driving rhythm of the drums, and the subtle undertones of the bass, lay the perfect foundation for the guitar. And it doesn't disappoint, the sound of different combinations of notes merging and flowing into each other evoking different emotional responses from the listener. This one is epic, and heroic. That one can only ever be about love. That other one there is the very definition of what is cool. Another is about loneliness and sorrow. Yet another describes angst perfectly. And this one here, this one says that, whilst we don't know what's going on, everything is going to be all right. No lyrics, no vocals. None are needed. This is just from the notes of the guitar.
*sighs*
I've been music free for more than two years now. Wait, let me correct that:
I've been music free for two years now, except for a couple of lapses. The first was back in May/June of this year, where after nearly two years of music abstinence, I went back to listening to it. I was really down at the time, not that its any excuse. The second is recently, over the past week or so. I don't know what's made me go back this time, but I know I have no excuse whatsoever.
During my times of weakness, some years ago, I loved music. Specifically, I loved my own choice, which to me was based on music that could stimulate both emotional and intellectual reactions, and knowing that I had consciously chosen my own type of music instead of being force-fed stuff from around me made me love my own choices even more. Ironic now, that something I was so proud of then is a weak point now.
I can somewhat justify my choice - instrumentals of the rock, heavy metal, and classical variety, knowing that such choices, if not good for you, were nowhere near as bad for you as other kinds, but the justification rings hollow to me, and probably also to anyone who reads this. I shouldn't be listening to them, and from now on, I won't. Ever.
I don't know why we as humans are attracted to music as we are, but it's undeniable. I don't know if many look at music the way I did, or liked what I liked, but it's an academic discussion, and quite irrelevant now. I know I can hold out for years, even though my many years or music listening means that quite a few guitar solos are now etched permanently in my brain, and that everywhere I go, there is bound to be some music playing. These two factors make it tough, but not impossible to hold out, and now I'm determined to make it so.
I think I can turn this weakness into a strength by training myself to remember my Creator everytime I hear some music. Whether this will work or not remains to be found out.
God help me....
6 years ago

I have many questions but I don't want to invade folks privacy.
ReplyDeleteMusic is my guilty pleasure. How can something so beautiful be haram?
my little devil is whispering for me to share something beautiful with you, but I shall resist lol
@heavy metal however- oh no.
I think the scholars opinions are simple - all music that is not ghina is allowed. Then defining what is ghina becomes the issue.
ReplyDeleteFor me, what I love(d) is definitely ghina, and what is halal only reminds me of what isn't, so I try to stay away from both.
ghina, as in with voice no?
ReplyDeleteI'm a weak little soul,
I'm relying on telling God, I love you soooo much, and I'm weak and tiny and frail-pleeaase don't burn me
Not with voice as such, but what of term of lyrics is unacceptable, and also what is likely to be played in places of haram.
ReplyDeleteAnd lol - my strategy isn't that different.
Ok so decent lyrics is ok? Instrumental with a beautiful female/male voice, singing about-decent things-that wouldn't be considered ghina? I'm a bit confused here. Ghina means foul lyrics?
ReplyDeletelol, awesome
Don't take my word for it. That's my understanding, and I'd always says check with your marja on his definition of what ghina is.
ReplyDeletebuuut i want to take your word for it. I can't do taqlid of you can I?
ReplyDeleteThanks nevertheless. I'll ask once I'm ready lol
Lol. Not if I can help it, and I understand lol.
ReplyDelete