I wrote in my minimalism post that perhaps maybe I wouldn't be going into writing haikus until I had developed my abilities within the framework of iambic pentameter. After all, in so doing, I wrote what I consider to be my best poem to date (The Come, Friend one). And so I reasoned that if I continued to do so, then I would develop, and write more poems of that calibre, and even better.
But...
After writing the minimalism post, I decided to write a few haikus, to try and see how it would be like. And then I wrote some more, and some more. Before I knew it, I had 10, which I posted. Now, I have posted 10 more. I like writing them. They're like tiny little fragments of life, and the 17 syllable constraint means that shaping them requires delicacy and economy, which I don't claim to have, but maybe, through writing more, I can gain. As with everything, you only get what you give, so you can see some where I clearly wasn't trying as hard as I was in others.
So I'm going to continue writing them. I don't make any claim as to the quality that will come, I'll just write what comes to me...memories, concepts, feelings, descriptions, whatever. I'll post them in sets of 10, as that seems like as good a number as any for a cut off point. 10 is also deceptively large, making it look like I've done loads, whereas 10 haikus is only 170 syllables. Also, I'll link each haiku page to the one posted before it, and after it, to maintain a semblance of continuity, as well as maybe to chronicle a gradual increase in quality, should one actually happen.
6 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment