Thursday, 5 November 2009

The Melting Pot

The following are the means of creative expression I favour. Next to them, I rank my proficiency in them out of 10.

Writing, both prose and non-prose (5)
Poetry (3)
Graphics (3)
Photography (1 - well, I am new)
Drawing (1, only cause I can't give myself zero)

And the following are areas of interest to me, where I hope to continually develop (copied, word for word, from my iTunes U post, with a new addition to the end):

Mathematics
Philosophy
Art
Architecture
Science
Language
Media Studies
Literature
Politics
Astronomy
Economics
Law
Design
History
Poetry
Sociology
Theology
Linguistics
Programming
Photography

The normal worry would be that I'm spreading myself too thinly... that in choosing such a big list of diverse interests, I'll end up with a shallow understanding of each. And it might happen...I don't know for sure that it won't. But it is my belief that understanding one field increases your appreciation and ability to better understand the others. And that principles learnt in one field have dynamic, creative applications in totally different ones. And that's what I hope to achieve. To prove that diverse areas of study do not limit your understanding, but free you to understand different, overlapping facets of life.

And the link with my methods of creative expression?
Well, I hope that, as my growth in each area becomes deeper, and more profound, and the more links I can make between different areas of life, I will be better able to express it, using the means outlined above. It would also be an interesting experiment in itself to try and merge the distinct forms of expression into something altogether new.

To the glorious flowering of human potential that lies dormant within us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment