for you, O Husain (ع)
hearts will continue to break
again and again
Muharram is coming....
Muharram is coming....
Muharram is coming, and soon, in the days and nights ahead, all of my troubles, and worries, and ambitions, and projects, and goals, and, well, everything, will fade away to total nothingness. All that will be left will be the message of eternal revolution and supreme self sacrifice for the pleasure of Allah, and some questioning and querying as I seek to implement Muharram's message in my life.
I have a problem. There are times when I see all too clearly all that I need to do to sort my life out and improve myself drastically. Normally these times overlap with periods of (relatively) high spirituality, such as the trifecta of Rajab, Shaban, and the month of Ramadhan, or the mourning period of Muharram through Safar to Eid-e-Zahra (as). But then, these periods go, and slowly I get dragged into the world of pointless distractions and soulless acquisition, and in the end, have little to show after a few months. The world beats me yet again, and the cycle starts over again, and I will be older, but no wiser.
I don't want the end result of this period to be the same. InshaAllah it won't be. And in order to help myself avoid such again, like the month of Ramadhan, I'm going to withdraw into my cave again (so to speak), to focus on what really matters. The rules will kinda be the same - no msn-ing, no gaming on my iPhone, no movies or TV shows, minimal forum posting, and possibly less blogging. I know I'll write 3 more posts for this year:
- A review of 2010
- Resolutions for 2011
- The opener for the now traditional 40 day period (see the ones for Muharram 1430, Muharram 1431)
That's all I intend to write for the remainder of this year, and I'll be content if I do all that. Maybe I'll write some poetry as well, or some more serious, high-level thinkery posts, but doing so would be a bonus.
6 years ago

eltemase dua.
ReplyDelete"The rules will kinda be the same - no msn-ing, no gaming on my iPhone, no movies or TV shows, minimal forum posting, and possibly less blogging."
ReplyDeleteThat's strange, if you feel there is something wrong in doing these things in your day to day then it's a bit hypocritical to just stop them during the holy months only, don't you think!
Agreed. What I feel is not that these things are wrong as such, but that perhaps I'm doing too much of them, or that they distract from doing more important things. So I feel it's better to cut them out for now, and decide on them later.
ReplyDeleteYou never know - some of the stuff I cut for now, I might end up cutting for good anyway.
Good luck, though I'm not convinced
ReplyDeleteA little skepticism is no bad thing, and thank you.
ReplyDeleteExcellent time of the year to strive for change!
ReplyDeleteBest of luck, especially for the no gaming on iPhone ;) lol
Hypocritical to refrain from certain things, out of respect for this month (and the Prophet and his family) in which the gravest calamity took place? Sometimes I really don't get people.
ReplyDeleteyou're so polite Imran,-people like you touch my heart. I hope you can remember me in your dua during these days.
Wsalam
Thank you anonymous one, and Batool :)
ReplyDeleteinshaAllah.