Monday, 20 December 2010

Here you may reach, but no further

When she walked into my life
I foresaw no trouble or strife
yet instinctively I begin
to set boundaries between
just in case, you know?
and you never really know...

She crossed the line.
So I pulled her aside:

"I intend to be no cause of pain
myself I will not cease to blame
were I to bring about any shame
I give you now a very clear sign
please don't cross this drawn line
here you may reach, but no further"

She didn't listen

"I am touched by your faith in me,
but the real picture you don't see,
An alluring surface, but no depth
our souls don't even walk in step
So, please, for thy good and mine,
please don't cross this drawn line;
here you may reach, but no further"

She didn't listen.

So I began to reason:
Better a little pain now, than much later
so quieter and colder I became toward her
no further did I allow her to get
until finally she upped and left
and then I realised my mistake,

In trying to protect her...I hurt her more

I sought her again, hoping without reason
that I'd be forgiven despite my actions
and I explained my failings and reasons why
waiting with bated breath for her reply

She turned to me, with fiery eyes
fixing me with a small, sad smile
and replied with exactly one line:

"here you may reach, but no further"

-------------

Intended as an alternative retelling of He & She, with a more ironic, or more melancholy ending.

8 comments:

  1. This is one of the best yet, bar none. It was like looking into an incredibly distorted mirror.

    For the record, DC is better for Vertigo alone. =) If you haven't already, read Watchmen, V for Vendetta, The Sandman series, etc... Anything by Alan Moore or Neil Gaiman. Watchmen, especially... is life-alteringly epic. It's easily one of the best novels ever inked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is truly amazing, so is the he & she. Looking forward to a part 3, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Batool: maybe lol. If i get inspired, why not?

    @R: thank you. did you like He & She, or this one more?

    and lol, I did think about Vertigo, but still Marvel is better. Iron Man, Wolverine and SpiderMan are much better as a combo than BatMan, SuperMan, and WonderWoman.

    How about I concede that DC/Vertigo make exceptionally better movies?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have fans for this series of poetry, so indeed why not :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Honestly, I didn't like He & She. The writing was beyond reproach as always, but the underlying theme... meh. =/

    If we're talking mainstream superheroes, Marvel makes a fair showing (ie. the X-Men back stories... unquestionably epic)
    But DC's villains and lesser heroes are brilliant in a really cerebral way... if you ever get to read Watchmen, you'll see what I mean. Dr. Manhattan could, by himself, atomically disassemble Iron Man, Wolverine, and Spiderman in the blink of an eye, while musing about it in stream-of-consciousness prose.

    As far as movies go, your concession is a fair one. =)

    ReplyDelete