- Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)
For some reason, I have this in my mind as "Islam's very own 40 day challenge" (hence the title). Odd, but its a way of looking at it that is actually true, just worded differently to what anyone else might think. I have always failed, before I have even started, for I know that it will not be possible for me to do this, at least not anytime soon. As it happens, I don't know many people for whom "springs of wisdom sprout out of the heart and flow on the tongue", so maybe its hard for everyone, or at least, everyone i know.
But maybe its in the trying. In the constant trying and renewal of this challenge, one may hope to be able to progress, and be able to stay serving Allah for longer and longer periods of time, and eventually one may hopefully be able to reach the goal of forty continuous days. All with the help of Allah, of course. Perhaps arfter trying for one's whole life, one may get this station in old age. Khayr, Allah knows best.
It is Muharram now. We shia are blessed. We have two periods, in which the spirituality gets boosted. The first is the gradual, progressive ramping up that happens in Rajab, Shaban, and the holy month of Ramadhan, where one can actually feel the buzz in the air, if one looks for it. The second is the months of Muharram and Safar, where one has the opportunity to reflect on the glorious sacrifice of Imam Husayn (as), and focus on the huge disparity between our own characters and the characters of the companions of the Imam, never mind the actual Bani Hashim.
I have decided that my next challenge will start on the symbolic date of Ashura, and end, InshaAllah, on the day of Arbaeen, as part of my own personal commemoration of Ashura.
One day, inshaAllah, I will do this challenge properly

Thanks for this entry..it's very symbolic of this war we have within ourselves. You didn't say which '40 day challenge' you're doing..however, based on my experiences..the 40 morning recitations of Dua Ahd isn't as difficult.
ReplyDeleteThen again, you have to assume the person wakes up for fajr to start with..now we're getting too technical.
Adding to my confusion, do you think merely asking Allah to allow us to submit to him for 40 days is asking too much? Based on this hadith:
"Indeed God has so little regard for the unbeliever that should he ask of Him the world and that which is in it, He would give that to him" (Imam Sadiq)
Good luck on the next challenge..:)