Sunday, 20 December 2009

The 40 Day Challenge Revisited...

For those who have not read them previously, I direct readers to the original challenge, and to the post-mortem. It is hard to believe that a year has gone since, and harder still to believe that I will close out this year in spiritual loss, rather than in gain, though the year opened most promisingly.

Still, the time comes again, and the holy month of Muharram has begun again, and just like the holy month of Ramadhan brings with it the hope of spiritual renewal and rejuvenation, as contemplation of the grand sacrifice of Imam Husayn (as) guides us to what is important in our lives on a countless number of levels. The Imams (as) have said that their graves are in the hearts of the believers, and maybe I can set myself properly upon that path, or lay the foundations for doing so. I keep imagining visions of the grand numbers of grand acts that I intend doing, but I'm not sure this is the right way. If I can just grow enough to be sincere, and purge myself of bad habits, I will be content.

I know I failed last time, and will probably fail again this time as well, but as before, so again: I believe that my growth lies in attempting this to the best of my ability - even in failure there will be something to be grateful for. I quote the defining tradition again:

Whoever dedicates himself to God for forty days, will find springs of wisdom sprout out of his heart and flow on his tongue
- Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)

For any who attempt the same at the same time I do, or any time in their lives, I wish them well.

No comments:

Post a Comment