OK, this is getting silly now.
I've documented how I went about upgrading to Snow Leopard, and my experiences regarding the iPad, both of which were in some way justifiable, but I didn't think I'd be writing the third of the trilogy regarding the new iPhone. I barely even use a phone - in September of last year, I ended my mobile contract with O2, and never noticed the difference. I'm either at home, or at work, so never really need to use a mobile. However, I've long admired the iPhones, and whilst never contemplating actually having one, have thought the iPhone 4 to be a remarkable upgrade in terms of both aesthetic and functionality.
Something weird happened though. Somehow, filial and fraternal goodwill culminated in the possibility of me being gifted a brand new iPhone, and all I'd have to cover was my own costs of running the device. Even then, I still wasn't sure I wanted one. But I decided to go for it anyway - I would never be able to afford buying an iPhone outright, but I can definitely cover £15 a month for 12 months.
So, launch day approacheth, and like before my brother and I were off early to the Apple Store. Despite having left earlier than when we did for the launch of the iPad (which, remember, is still less than a month ago), we weren't first in line. We were 12th and 13th. This despite being there at 5:45AM. Which I suppose can be taken as a reasonable indicator of the iPhone's popularity as against that of the iPad. At the Apple store, people were split into two queues: those who had reserved their iPhones, and those who had not. The subtle message from Apple: reserve next time, please.
The splitting into two queues led to a thinning, and me and my bro were now 6th and 7th. They actually started letting people in early, at 7:30 AM instead of 8:00, but only in ones and twos. Apparently people who weren't buying the pay-as-you-go phones needed to sign up for contracts, with all the hassle and credit checking and other stuff that comes with that, taking roughly 20 minutes each. And some decided they wanted two. So the line moved very, very, slowly, one person from the reserved queue, one from the unreserved, again in stark contrast to when we bought the iPad, where it look less than 5 mins from entry to exit.
Eventually, we were let in, at 9, and were sorted by 9:20. And it's truly an awesome device. All the Apps I have downloaded for the iPad were saved on my computer, so I could install the ones I wanted without fuss, and get some new ones. Ditto for all the free books I got - they're saved on my computer, so just drag and drop onto the iPhone. Reading on the iPhone is incredibly crisp and sharp - I can't tell the difference between reading on screen and print quality. It is that good. And now I can carry a copy of Walden in my pocket.
There are tons of other awesome features worth a mention, all to do with how the User Interface has been refined to almost intuitive perfection, but two stand out - the quality of the screen, and that of the camera. The camera is good enough to mean that I can safely get rid of my digital camera, and that I can record HD quality video means I need never buy a camcorder. The screen itself makes watching videos a pleasure - incredibly vivid, and very detailed. I watched my own YouTube videos on them (shameless plug for Video 1 and Video 2 here), and marvelled at the quality of the tiny screen. I could get used to this....
Anyway - I now have all that I could ever want in terms of material goods. I DONT WANT ANY MORE!!! I know Apple will release a new line of iPods and iPod Touches in September, but beyond an interest as to whether iPod Touches will keep their current design or change to harmonise with the new iPhone, there is nothing that will captivate me. Or so I think.
If another post shows up in a few months time with me claiming to have acquired new iPod Touch models as well, I challenge anyone to call me on it. The first person to do so will get my new iPhone mailed to them (UK only), safely bubble-wrapped and everything.
I'm serious.
That aside, I'm quite grateful to have been gifted one, and hope to use it for as much good as possible. InshaAllah
6 years ago

I'm holding on to that promise :P
ReplyDelete