Saturday, 5 June 2010

Inventory - Part II

It is over a year since I wrote my inventory post. In the summer following, I was able to start on my clothes, as well as give away/ get rid of a whole amount of unnecessary stuff. But it remains, on the whole, undone. So, tomorrow, it begins again, in earnest.

In that post I covered most of the "why" aspects, in this I'll cover more of the "how", and other miscellaneous stuff. The intention remains the same. But it feels that this time, the right tool has arrived. Tomorrow, me and my brother will go from room to room and catalogue EVERYTHING. Some stuff like electronics, jewellery, clothing, etc will also have their own separate, room-independent lists. Everything will go on the iPad. Just like the last time, as much detail as possible will be taken, to facilitate as much scrutiny as possible.

Also, I want to be able to pull out the iPad when tempted with a new purchase, and be able to think "I really do like this, but I can't justify it, not when I still have...[swipe-swipe-swipe-swipe] 36 shirts - 37 if we count the cool one with detachable sleeves." (only kidding-I don't have one with detachable sleeves). But the point remains. And it will finally be a chance to use the gadget as a tool for producing instead of consuming.

As before, we expect this to take more than a few days, but it will be ok, and definitely worth it. The next step after the inventory will be thorough scrutiny, followed by a purge, followed by a simpler lifestyle. Once this is sorted, I plan on implementing a double-entry accounting system for my personal finances, as inspired by this post on Tynan's blog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment