Monday, 14 September 2009

Cooking

I don't know exactly where its come from, but I'm really into cooking right now. I want to make lots of things, and experiment, and build up my skills, and proficiencies with different appliances and styles, and methods of cooking.

I've started through the making of cakes and nut butters, and I want to make more. I've set myself a target of learning 40-odd dishes in a year - roughly under one a week, from scratch to finish.

I'm also going to use this page to document what I've made, and the first time I made it. What will go on here are dishes that I have completely done myself from ingredients anyone can buy at the supermarkets, and so stuff like ready meals, and oven ready foods will not go in here, though obviously I know how to make them, as will food that someone else has partially prepared for me to finish off later. If I were to add these, I could add loads more, but this is about skill as well, so I will not. Beverages also I will not put here. Some will be variants of a dish previously made, but I'm going to include them anyway, as each variant is my attempt and tweaking and experimenting...some will come out ok...some will not. All variants will be coloured.

I should mention that, being a man, the kitchen does get messy, and that I don't particularly enjoy doing the dishes afterwards. Meh.

I will update this page every time I make something new. As already mentioned above, the dates which I put in here are the first time I make the dish.

-------------

23/08/09 Madiera style plain cake
04/09/09 Cake with almond paste*
06/09/09 Almond butter.**
06/09/09 Cake with desiccated coconut and almond butter.
10/09/09 Cashew nut butter.
14/09/09 Pasta bake.***
17/09/09 Pasta bake II
19/09/09 Chocolate sponge cake****
27/09/09 Chocolate sponge with a layer of melted chocolate on top.
02/10/09 Peras §
06/10/09 Tuna pasta bake
11/10/09 Barfi style peras §
16/10/09 Tuna pasta bake II ±
17/10/09 Tuna pasta bake III ±
29/10/09 Ciabatta style pizza with sardines
29/10/09 Barfi style peras.

* I failed at making almond butter, so I put the paste-ish result into a cake mix. Turned out well. As you can see, I succeeded a few days later
** Delicious!!
*** This was awesome...I had no idea what I was doing or if it would work. Turned out fantastic.
**** Too much cocoa, otherwise awesome.
§ Not perfect, but I'm happy
§ Failed, so saved them by making them into ordinary ones. Still delicious either way.
± Too much pasta. And too much flour. Yet delicious. How I mess up so many, and yet they taste excellent is a mystery to me. Ah well.
±A refinement on the above. Love it...this recipe is now officially settled :D

39 comments:

  1. I'm useless at cooking. Well done on your success though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. since its the month of ramadan now, how about date cake? call the dish ramadan cake

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you still cook/bake? Any tried (easy) recipes you wouldn't mind sharing?
    This is quite an old entry-so either you've turned into a master chef since then, lol, or you've completely given up on food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol - that I haven't done updated this page for more than a year tells it's own story.

    I love nut butters - so easy to make, and healthy too, especially the almond butter. Try that, if nothing else - recipes are a google search away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL-nut butters? Are you serious? You consider that cooking?
    1.I had no idea people make that at home.
    2.I was thinking more along the ways of fish in the oven, steak dish-or perhaps traditional dishes you might've tried-or some awesome cake recipes but yeah google sounds like a better idea.

    To be fair-I can't cook myself. When I was away from my family, I survived on tuna fish, fried eggs and dates with bread lol.

    I'll try the almond butter for breakfast sometime though. Merci.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dare you to make it. You won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All I need is almonds and olive oil right? (that's according to some site I was referred to through google). Easy as pie. I'll make it next weekend.

    I dare you to cook a proper meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Olive oil optional. And I accept.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so you just use almonds? Buut that would turn into weird almond dough wouldn't it?

    lol-really? Awesome. Although I'm not quite sure how this is working-but coool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nope. it does become like butter - like peanut butter. But the taste is heavenly.

    I'll make a full meal within the next two weeks and add it on here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alright, that's a deal then. Don't burn down the house though.

    goodnight

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL. Of all the things it would be possible to say, I didn't expect that.

    You should at least have suggested I learn to cook nihari or haleem :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never made the butter,

    your laziness has rubbed off on me. It's all your fault alone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. lol what? For what? I'm being silly, with my silly weird out of this planet humor. Sarcasm, irony and humor don't travel too well online-and especially when I'm involved.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lol. I knew - I was being deadpan to match. Looks like that doesn't travel well over the net either.

    ReplyDelete
  16. btw, I made a cake today! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. lol, you made me laugh. Yeah, sometimes it's tricky to get what is being communicated.

    As for the cake, cooool, chocolate? Did it taste good? Be honest. Your vote doesn't count. Neither does your mom's. Not your brother's either.

    Seems like you have to send me a piece for me to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nope - plain sponge cake, which is my fave. And yes, it was good, even if I do say so myself.

    I'm not risking it going in a plane to Scandinavia. You're most welcome to come for some, but you'd better hurry before it's all gone.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL wow, I actually thought I was pretty anonymous.

    risky? lol, scared of heights? planes? admit it.

    Uk sounds tempting. let's see if I can figure out a way to sneak out...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mention of fjords in your blog + my analytics data = result. At least I said Scandinavia, so it could be any one of five countries....

    Plus, I used to live in Sweden, even though that was 9 years ago.

    Nope, I just don't trust the couriers with my awesome cake.

    lol - best of luck. You have two days, if that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. lol, no more revelations in public!- I'm pretty certain you know which of five.

    Ohh cool, talar du svenska?

    If I come and like it, you won't get rid of me. Sure you don't wanna take your invitation back?

    ReplyDelete
  22. -happy eid btw-for today, tomorrow, or whenever you're celebrating.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think I do.

    inte mycket. (lol, I've forgotten so much over the past years).

    I'm fine with the invitation, but the cake is almost gone.

    And Eid Mubarak for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh you mustn't forget, svenska är jättefint, besides, the more languages, the more awesome.

    lol, noshe joonet, (as is said in persian).

    Tack så mycket.

    ReplyDelete
  25. lol. You're welcome, and thank you. What does the farsi mean?

    ReplyDelete
  26. would be the equivalent of the french bon appetite.
    (formal: noshe jan)

    ReplyDelete
  27. lol, life. I never made the butter. And I'm safely assuming you never made the promised meal either.

    ReplyDelete
  28. it's been 2 years! Time flies! A chill just went down my spine. This is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lol. No I didn't. And yes it is.

    ReplyDelete
  30. time really does fly..

    ReplyDelete
  31. Time certainly does fly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm betting you still didnt make the nut butter

      Delete
  32. lol. I didn't.

    More importantly did you make the meal?

    ReplyDelete
  33. haha oh well, c'est la vie, right?

    ReplyDelete
  34. lol

    I'm out to buy some water. Can't believe I underestimated the blessings of being able to drink the best water of the world right out of the tap. Too many blessings we take for granted. Too many.

    ReplyDelete