Monday, 14 February 2011

Football II

I dine at football's top table tonight
as the blaugrana play the red-and-white
two teams keeping total football alive
in systems that help the attackers thrive
consummate artisans of skill and poise
play each other in cauldrons of noise
silk and steel, and blood and thunder,
filling onlookers with awe and wonder
as all football fans will say that day;
this is how it should be played...

------------------

Or at least, that's what I'm hoping it will be like. I wrote (IV) about how my previous football poem acted as a sort of cathartic release for me, and allowed me to stay away from getting too involved in football. Which is kinda what I needed at the time. The prospect of this match has me buzzing, however, and I am back to my football-following ways, if only for a short while again.

My two favourite club teams will play each other on Wednesday night, and again in 3 weeks time. They play a brand of football unmatched by others, where pace, precise passing, technical brilliance and creativity mix to create chance after chance after chance. If I had to pick one match to show what I love about football to someone who doesn't like football, this would be it.

If you can, please watch it. You won't regret it.

(Now that I've said all that, it will probably turn out to be an ultra-defensive, extremely stale affair. Please watch it anyway)

4 comments:

  1. And indeed it was a great match - Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy. Now just for the return leg....

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, if putting passion on paper, slightly pulls you away from it-I should be penning a whole lot down. Does it really work, or was it this one time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried it with anything else. For this it worked because I've held my beliefs for so long, and felt somewhat frustrated that nobody sees what I see.

    Try it, and see whether it works for you

    ReplyDelete