I was promoted on the strength of my past performance, my enthusiasm and dedication, and whatever potential my managers saw in me. But now I'm responsible to managing a small team, and my perspective has had to shift. Put another way, I'm not worried about my own game, but being responsible for the game of others, is somewhat challenging. I will grow into it, I'm sure, but I would be naive to expect that this transition would be quick and painless. Knowing that INTJs are supposed to be good leaders, makes me think I'm missing something, or maybe I'm just not as INTJ as I thought I was.
My problem, as I see it now, would be that when times are good, then I don't have to do that much, just focus on my own performance, as such, and keep operations running smoothly. However, what do I do when things aren't so good? And it's related to the individual performances of a few members? I don't have it in me to be mean, so I'm sure that there has to be some way I can raise the performance of a few others when they're flagging in a gentle, guileless, manner. Targets are important. They keep you focused. But I never want to make them more important than the people I'm responsible for.
Ever.
6 years ago

I'm ENTJ :D
ReplyDeleteYou'll be fine inshalla, it takes time to settle in to a new routine. So its only normal to feel what you're feeling, i guess.
Thank you. iA
ReplyDeleteI did the test again, and I came out INFJ for the first time ever. Which totally weirded me out. I think I need to do some more tests.
You shouldn't rely on some analysis and acronyms to tell you what kind of a person you are :P
ReplyDeleteI think your heart is in the right place and your team will be lucky to have you. A new role that requires new learning is always daunting, but if you've got this far, it means you have the ability to learn and will do just fine.
being mean isn't always the answer - you may have to try different techniques and see what works. The best thing in my experience is regular face to face communication with people who's performance is flagging - having an open honest two way communication line open will help both parties.
Thank you. I did indeed have a word with the person whose performance was off, and he improved substantially. As I thought, he was having some trouble with his equipment, which, once rectified, made it all better.
ReplyDeleteAnd fair point, although at the very least I can say it works much better than horoscopes...