Thursday, 14 October 2010

On Where I am Home...

In bringing it under your control
with one touch

In seeing the ball fly like an arrow
the result of a perfect hit

In playing under floodlights
on astroturf as smooth as carpet

In the hypnotic rhythm of the great teams
control - touch - pass - move
control - touch - pass - move

mesmerising
as they combine perfect passing,
intelligent off-the-ball movement,
and positional awareness
exquisite, living, breathing, geometry
to open the tightest defences

In the perfect combination
of individual skill
and collective will

In explosions of pace,
and displays of perfect technique
and one-v-one battles across the pitch

In histories, and random geography
and team colours, and pageantry

In it's purest form,
less of a sport
more of an art

In all of this
and more besides
I am home

Ahhhhhhhhhh

how to make you know
how much I love this?

know, dear one
of the things of this world
only four make me genuinely happy

a book in my hands
a ball at my feet
a child in my arms

and

your hand in mine*

---------------

*Don't get too excited - I have no idea who I'm saying this to. It just fit.

10 comments:

  1. Oh..that was so so beautiful. I think that's my favorite out of your non-religious poetry. lol@it just fit-that's funny.

    aaand-you're definitely saying it to me-you just don't know it yet..

    =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I can only hope to have changed your outlook on football.

    As for the other bit, I refer you again to the disclaimer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol-

    Anyone with such passion for anything (decent) is beautiful. I don't think I'd ever find myself on a field dribbling the ball, being the more feminine shy person I am-but I'd certainly love watching someone who loves it so much, play.

    Your disclaimer reminds me of this poem I was listening to online-this man was reciting a really sweet poem, listing all the qualities of his lady-and then ends it with something along the lines of "most importantly I love her because she's she.... and well,
    I ain't met her yet" -that was really funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intriguiging. A sort of induced passion.

    Lol - looks like the disclaimer is used more often that I thought it would be

    ReplyDelete
  5. imran, i can't sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear that :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. im just having some small little anxiety moments sometimes.

    i did fall asleep, eventually, as i always do.

    sorry to bother with my pointless comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ps: i still love this poem.

    have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You weren't bothering.

    Thank you again :)

    ReplyDelete