Saturday, 19 February 2011

An Old Quote....

This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.

-George Bernard Shaw

Something I haven't read or ruminated on in years, but I randomly remembered it yesterday.

10 comments:

  1. Had to read it a few times to understand it. I think the beauty lies in its simplicity. Nice entry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get it :S What does it say? In English lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. In not so many words?

    Do something worthwhile, don't be lazy, take destiny in your own hands, and don't waste time complaining.

    Doesn't sound as elegant, or as nice when stripped away. Something has been lost in translation....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm, I took it to say;

    To be truly happy, allow yourself to be great and make yourself something. Make the most of your life and stand up for what you believe in, for a cause. Voice your opinion thoroughly without complaining at minor discontentments. Make your life a full, happy one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, I believe I killed it for you, with the asking to translate lol.

    But thanks anyway

    ReplyDelete
  6. @LS. Hmm. I'm sure they work out at being the same, give or take some semantic playing... Although I like your interpretation better.

    @Anonymous. Lol - don't worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's embarrassingly brilliant... GBS truly had a way with words. That last bit about happiness pretty much encapsulates everything that's ever wrong with us human beings. Life owes us nothing, but it's so easy to feel otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful quote. I love these type that remind us we need to take control to make changes instead of expecting the world owes us a living. Three favourites of mine along those lines (although I'm aware Woodrow Wilson is controversial) are:

    Don't ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
    -Harold Whitman

    It seems to me that people have vast potential. Most people can do extraordinary things if they have the confidence. Yet most people don't. They sit in front of the telly and treat life as if it goes on forever.
    - Philip Adams

    You are not here merely to make a living. You are here to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, and with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world. You impoverish yourself if you forget this errand.
    - Woodrow Wilson

    ReplyDelete