Saturday, 18 December 2010

Baby Socks

I cradle you gently in my arms
As you breathe in rhythmic sleep
From me you will never be harmed
So I pray your slumber is deep

Our Lord has blessed us with a child
An unbelievable gift to his slaves
In your very details I am beguiled
This gift I surely will not waste

Soon you will start to walk and talk
and reflect in play what you see
In me I hope you reflect no flaw
to model the best do I dream

I will help you to be kind, gentle
And develop at your own pace
The love of thy Lord I will kindle
and the rest will fall into place

Later still your wings you will spread
and leave the cocoon of our home
hopefully by then you'll be prepared
to swiftly pass through, not to roam

With this world you will tussle
For such is the lot of His slaves
Yet you'll make light these struggles
by keeping an eye on your grave

My love for this tiny bundle grows
as I watch you dream and sleep
with me you'll always be home
this promise I undertake to keep

7 comments:

  1. am I really weird if some parts made me think of beautiful baby Imam Hussain (as)-spoken to by Imam Ali (as).

    Perhaps it's effect of Ashura still.

    Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is brilliant, love it. And I love the title too lol

    "An unbelievable gift to his slaves" <--- so very true -_-

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous. Perhaps not weird, but that definitely was not my intention.

    @fjb. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Touched me too much, I love this poem so much!
    Each stanza gave me a feel of different imams or prophet
    First, prophet ibrahim and his son (when Allah saved him from slaughter)
    Second, When prophet yehya was granted
    Third, imam hassan to his son al qasim
    Etc
    But last is surely layla speaking to abdullah on ashura
    I guess I'm still in ashura feel too :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. woah. i dunno how that happened. All I did was imagine holding my own child in my arms for the first time :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. And that's why I love this poem so much! It's obvious its like your talking to your child, but using the lessons from our imams and prophets (if that made sense)

    Hence the effects it had on us the readers :)

    Love it! Share it? No?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, but not this one.

    ReplyDelete