A thought experiment, if you will, based on six questions. They come in two two sets of three:
- Are you a better person than you were 6 weeks ago?
- Are you a better person than you were 6 months ago?
- Are you a better person than you were 6 years ago?
I really, really don't want to answer these, because I know the answers are not good. But, lets go through them anyway. 6 weeks...hmm...I don't think much can have changed in six weeks, but I think, seeing as six weeks ago the Holy Month of Ramadhan was just ending, and I've regressed since, I probably was a better person six weeks ago than I am today. Shocking, I know. 6 months is tougher to tell, as it's kind in the middle distance, and with these one is better of noting what 6 months ago was (April 2010), and coming back later to look at it. However, if I can't with any certainty say right now that I am better than I was six months ago, then I can only conclude that I have stagnated, or am worse. 6 years is odd. A lot happened in 6 years. I got my A-Levels (awesome grades), got a degree (not so awesome, but still good), learned so much in terms of religion as well as other stuff, and started writing poetry and art, both of which have been well received (still a mystery to me). But, I had less sins to my name. A lot less. Taking that into account, I'd say I probably was a better person 6 years ago than I was today.
Intriguing. There is a Hadith stating that if someone has not improved themselves within two days, that death is better for them. Ouch.
Ok, the other three project into the future:
- Will you be a better person in 6 weeks time?
- Will you be a better person in 6 months time?
- Will you be a better person in 6 years time?
These are tough. I'll lend you my magic 8 ball, once I'm done using it - point being, no way of knowing, and nor should there be. I think asking these gives you perspective on where your life is heading, and whether you want to continue down that path. There is a lot that can be done in any of these timeframes.
The possibilities really are endless. (good article, but for the purposes of this post, I'm linking to the list only, with the caveat that some of the items on that list aren't quite Islamically compatible...)
What is clear, is that growth comes by taking action, instead of sitting behind a screen talking about it. And the most important, rewarding growth comes from actions that push you and take place outside your comfort zone. I've had one such experience over the last weekend, and have at times fretted, been excited about, and over-thought it, but in the end, just doing it was its own reward. I wasn't super-awesome, but it's not as bad as it could have turned out, and I'm cautiously coming round to the optimistic point of view that it actually might have gone well.
More of the same, please.
6 years ago

What is a better person?
ReplyDelete@ouch after the hadith- that made me laugh a bit.
what's a magic 8 ball?
Its subjective, I know. I guess you just have to quieten your mind, and ask yourself whether you're a better person. You'll know the answer.
ReplyDeletelol - I knew that would be well received
A Magic 8 Ball is a fortune-telling device, which will give you a random positive, negative, or non-comittal answer. Google/YouTube it.
True. perhaps I too should be saying ouch then.
ReplyDeleteOh ok so that's what it is... coool. Thanks.
Not too long ago I skimmed through a little hadith compilation I had bought a few years ago. In it I came across a hadith by Imam Kadhem (as) which says; He who does not perform self-examination everyday, has no relation with us.
ReplyDeleteThere is nothing that teaches discipline quite like Islam does.
So true.
Delete