Wednesday, 27 October 2010

Adding Webpages to Your iDevice's Home Screen

The alternative title would be "A brief snapshot which illustrates how Apple set themselves apart."

Enjoy.

To start with, one must find a website. As we're already here, we'll use my blog as an example (not that I have a shortcut to my own blog on my iDevice. I'm self absorbed, but not even I do that)

OK, lets visit my blog, which obviously will render awesomely on the iDevice, and look at the toolbar. (Also, click on the images to see full size)


The iPhone and iPod Touch have a small toolbar at the bottom, whereas as the iPad integrates it into the address bar. What we're looking for is the plus-shaped button, which you will see is on the bottom. Here's what happens when you press it:


And obviously, the option you want is to add to the Home Screen. Selecting that gives you an option to rename the shortcut to anything you want. The default selection is the title of the page, which in my case is "..." - the title of my blog. Let's call it Imran. Hit the "Add" button in the corner when you're done.


As with newly downloaded apps, everything always gets put on the screen after the main home screen, or if that is full, the screen after, till a space is found. I guess that may be a subliminal message about the primacy of the main home screen - it will not be altered, unless you want it to be.


Anyway, being an app-organising neatnik, I can't allow that to space to be used. I always have 12 apps or folders (+ 4 in the dock) on a screen, which leaves out a line "free", which is what I use to swipe across screens. And I don't have to tell people, either - most of the time, when I give my phone to someone else to play with, they automatically go for the empty space under all the apps when swiping between screens.

Also, this is technically a web-app, so it goes with my other web-apps.


Voila! Less than a minute, from start to end. Too easy. Also, If you have an iDevice, and you're reading this, you know what to do next ;)

In a snapshot, this is why Apple are different from everyone else. Features, yes, features are important, but more important than that is User Interface, and this is refined to near perfection on their devices. Especially important is the primacy given to how touch "feels". The screen elements respond to touch in such a way as to make it feel real. This is unbelievably important, and touchscreens that lag are losing the game. And then, once the touch is sorted, other UI elements really shine. I could talk for ages (and to some people, already have), so I'm going to stop here.

----------

Next up, a detailed description of the way all my home screens are ordered, to be followed by my top 10 apps by usage.

15 comments:

  1. Yay! I figured out how to subscribe finally-so today it said "New" next to the subscription little thing I have. Cooool.

    em as for the topic-Although I have a mac-I am anti-Iphone. Four of my current family members have it-in addition to the rest of the entire world. It bothers me no end that every (other) person on the train sits with his head glued to his iphone.
    I'm never getting an iphone-even if they make them with chocolate, licorice, and ice cream.

    ok-sorry, just had to get that out of my chest lol-you can carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I have a subscriber!

    Understood. I'd approach it from a different perspective - functionality and ease of use - and as such, it makes no difference to me whether one person or one million people have a product.

    Awesome to know you have a mac though - I hereby award you one million cool points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. can't wait for the "next up" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol- yes you do. Btw-did you receive a note or email telling you someone subscribed?

    Hmm yeah you're probably right. I guess half the world has it for a good reason. I still don't like it though-I think what most bothers me is that you have a whole world in your phone. I wish things got separated, like the good old days. Now it's phone/internet/everything else. It's stupid. I don't like it. Phones are for calling/txting. You want to chat or surf the internet, facebook, open up your laptop, or wait till you get home if you don't have it around. Don't use your phone for that. What's the point of laptops and computers if you have a phone replacing them. Technology is getting stupider by the minute. Stupid iphone. Stupid technology. I hate technology.

    ...i sound like a raging maniac don't I? lol

    em... so...do I still get to keep the million cool points -after that kooky rave?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope. I only get notified of comments.

    No, you don't. I love tech, and I LOVE Apple, so it's intriguing to hear a contrarian point of view. I personally love the idea of having a digital Swiss army knife in your pocket.

    And I gave you the points for having a mac, so unless that has changed, you should still be entitled to them

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of men fighting with swords like real men should-instead of guns-and whatever a swiss digital army knife is-much better.
    Apple is great yep. I guess that makes me sound like a little hypocrite.

    lol-you're a very serious person aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A Swiss army knife is a miniature little thing that you carry on your keyring that has all these tools on it. They're awesome, especially the ones made by Victorinox, and it's this element of being able to do everything with one tiny device that I was trying to draw parallels with from the iPhone.

    No, because you own a Mac. I've been a mac owner for 7 years, and a iPhone owner for less than half.

    And, mostly, but not always

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh-like a pocket knife? yeh, like a pocket knife, I just googled images of it.
    Yep I understand your stand-there are definitely pros with such things-but I see the -ive outweighing the +ives. "People of the screen" as we've been called many times.
    What I'm trying to say is that most aspects of technology are destroying our generation. Every little/big thing is facilitated-yet we have less and less time on our hands. I hardly see kids playing out anymore. Figured they're all inside sucked up into their video games and mobile phones. I'm really, really, really happy and so thankful I grew up in the 90s. What today's kids have today can hardly be called childhood.
    Playing out, rolling in the grass, snow ball fights in winter, water fights in the summer, hide and seek, i'll come ring on your door, have all been replaced with "video games, mobile phones, surfing the net, wasting time online, facebook, twitter,"-sigh..
    Things were so sweet back in the day.

    perhaps I'm the only one with this sentiment...

    LOL-who would've thought an innocent post about functions on iphones would trigger all these emotions.

    I apologize.
    Now I need to get back to my assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol. I agree. I don't partake of facebook or twitter for that same reason. What I'd say is that the tools can be used for good or bad, but they also make procrastinating easier, which is no good thing.

    90's kids rock. I should know - I was one too. But we also had awesome videogames then as well.

    and lol - no need to apologise. Like I said, good to hear contrarian viewpoints.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You get a billion cool points for no facebook my friend.
    Definitely can be used for good and bad-everything can.

    we certainly do. 90's you too? Awesome. Well, I was born late 80s, buut I'm a 90s child, cuz thats when I grew up.
    Yeah we had our own video games, super mario? yeah? The world's best game. Buuut we still had time to go out and play, super mario was just one of many parts of our lives.

    ok-great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why thank you. Finally, someone thinks it's a good thing.

    yep - same here, born in late 80s, grew up in late 90's. Sonic and Streets of Rage on the Sega Mega Drive- the best games I've ever played. And agreed that it was one part of many.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely. Never had a facebook-will never get it.

    Never played sonic actually, and streets of rage? I remember street fighters-awesome game.
    I was also part of the early playstation 1 generation. That was cool too.

    sweet nostalgia. Now I long for all that-my sleep is officially ruined.

    excuse me now, while I go check out the above poem.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lol - apologies for having ruined your sleep.

    Also, I admit to having actually been on the site, but am now 20 months clear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 3 years later,
    guess which shameless hypocrite got an Iphone?

    (in my defense, my dad had come to visit in the summer of 2012, and gifted it to me (he insisted!)-but i know-that doesn't make me much more honorable (lol)

    aaand I have to admit I have to withdraw a few of my above stances.

    buuut, I'm still as facebook-free as ever:)!
    ps: your writings are missed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all good. You are allowed to change your mind on certain things...it's not a bad thing.

      That's good to know. I've been tempted a lto to go back, but meh. Never really worth it.

      I will try and write soon, iA

      Delete