The songs of my youth were many and varied
My constant companions in my early years
Amongst an ever changing circle of friends
As I moved across continents, countries, and cities
A collector I became; an expert
Delving deeper into the lyrics and solos
Charting the careers of my favourite artists
Histories, band breakups, collaborations
And more, so much more.
And then I stopped, and left them
But it doesn't work both ways;
My early companions are with me still
Present in a memory that does not forget
Is not allowed to forget
Will not be allowed to forget
For these songs wormed their way
Into my very centre of being
Changing the way I talk, walk, think, speak
I reclaimed myself, slowly, eventually
Moulding myself into something acceptable
But the rhythms, lyrics and melodies
Have taken residence in some dark recess
Of my mind, always ready to reveal themselves
Should the opportunity arise again.
And the temptation is always there....
I regret the companionship of these songs now
The pleasure fleeting; the effects permanent
Better companions existed, but I forsook them
And now pay the consequences
Until one day, maybe
I can hope to be
Finally free.
6 years ago

I can empathize 110%--story of my life.
ReplyDeleteArt reflects life, or so it should anyway. Thank you for commenting.
DeleteI somewhat agree, art does not always and should not reflect life. What I believe makes art a powerful medium is that it can simultaneously be influenced by its context and comment on it; but the arts are autonomous,
DeleteIndependent of life/society/an individual,
A universe on its own.
That's where the artist comes in – to articulate what the function of the piece is.
I like to think that we're in control over what influences us. Easier said than done, at least for me. Somethings can silently change us but when we recognize the flaw and burn after sinning, it shows His mercy and forgiveness. Usually it's us who are last to forgive ourselves. I hope I continue to burn inside to remind myself that our Lord is certainly the most Forgiving and the best Guide.
Nothing but respect for you for writing this.
I didn't mean that art's only purpose is to reflect life, there are other purposes to art as well, but that's primarily what I use it for (without getting into too much of a deep debate re: philosophy of art, etc).
ReplyDeleteAgreed, usually we are the last to forgive ourselves.
Thank you.
Lol, I do this often - exaggerate the importance and function of the arts. One of the very few things I like seeing pushed in society. It sure does reflect life : )
Delete