Monday, 22 November 2010

Words

I pour these words on ink and paper
words I will not postpone for later
from my heart and soul combined
rarely beautiful, sometimes refined
dare I claim credit for their design
when even my talent is not mine?
Yet even still, I continue to write
and they dance between shadow and light
for in expression, in releasing these words
I am content, even if they be not heard
and from these utterings of questionable worth
maybe a gem or two will be unearthed

In the silence remains only my words and me
As I give them shape, and set them free.

7 comments:

  1. Very nice, I can so visualise this translated to Arabic! Would sound even nicer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy eid Ghadir Imran. Hope you had a wonderful day.

    I love how natural it reads (it sounds so genuine)-and it's just so nice.
    aaand it's so beautiful how God was praised.

    for some reason however, I felt a tiny bit disappointed when I finished. Maybe I didn't understand the genius message you've probably intertwined there-but I wish this wonderful poem was about something more than what it seems to be about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, and Eid Mubarak to you too. What do you think it's about?

    ReplyDelete
  4. words? please be gentle lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Close. And don't worry, lol. On a surface level, the poem is about writing poetry.

    Going deeper, its about feeling an urge to write, sometimes deciding not to give the words structure, not feeling that the words you write are really any good, but still writing, hoping that maybe one in every hundred poems will be something special.

    And finally, the need for calm and silence when I write, and a feeling of release when I am done.

    (It's also cheating, as I'm writing a poem about writing poetry, so my inspiration levels must be low :P)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how sweet of you to explain, thanks. I understand. Sweet poem.

    lol@ low inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. awesome. It was easy - I already had explained that to someone else, so it was just copy and paste for me, lol.

    ReplyDelete