In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful
لَن تَنَالُواْ الْبِرَّ حَتَّى تُنفِقُواْ مِمَّا تُحِبُّونَ وَمَا تُنفِقُواْ مِن شَيْءٍ فَإِنَّ اللّهَ بِهِ عَلِيمٌ
Ye will not attain unto piety until ye spend of that which ye love. And whatsoever ye spend, Allah is Aware thereof. [3:92]
It is only the first part of the verse that I wish to focus on.
"Ye will not attain unto piety until ye spend of that which ye love..."
Is there something that I love, that I would find hard to give away in the name of God? Only one thing comes to mind. My laptop. Everything else that I own, I doubt I would have qualms in giving away. I have already given away my games consoles, and doubt I'd have trouble giving away my phone, or my iPod, or my camera, or my TV, or my DVDs, or my books, or my trinkets, or....hmmm. Looks like I don't have that much to give away anyway.
But the laptop. That would be tough.. but why? It is a mac, yes but I can't put this down to aesthetics - I'd have trouble giving up the iPod as well, were that the case. I guess, more than what it is, my connection is to what it has. And that's it. It has over 1,000 photos, 28 days worth of lectures, 5 days worth of podcasts and video lectures, my collected thoughts and half-finished projects and lists... it has a part of me. So I'm guessing that if I were to somehow backup all of this, I'd be more partial to give away my laptop. Shouldn't take more than 100GB, 200 to be sure. And then I'll be attachment free.
Or will I then be attached to the backup? And what of being so attached to a piece of yourself that you'd hesitate in giving it up for the sake of God?
God help me

No comments:
Post a Comment