Thursday, 17 December 2009

The Fantastic Super Awesome Reading List

I asked a few people that I respect to give me a reading list that broadens one. This is the result (which I was told is not comprehensive), which I have tried to group in some semblance of order. I had ordered it differently, but I think it will be better this way. Gone is the complicated colour scheme, and the way I sort them is changed as well. Series are highlighted, with only the first two listed. Enjoy, and I'm always looking for new stuff to read, so if you don't see your fave, recommend it. There was poetry and religious books as well, but I think they both need to be distinct from this main list, so I'll either find some way to incorporate these, or give them their own lists.

v1.0 - 17/12/09
v2.0 - 24/09/10

The Top Faves:

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby
Chaos by James Gleick
Affluenza by Oliver James
Gladstone by Roy Jenkins
1984 by George Orwell
The Blank Slate by Stephen Pinker
Notes to Myself by Hugh Prather
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
The Snowball by Alice Schroeder
I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
Walden by Henry David Thoreau
The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak


The Best of the Rest:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams
(+3 more)

Watership Down by Richard Adams
Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom
For One More Day by Mitch Albom
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
Stonefather by Orson Scott Card
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
Essays by Ralph Waldo Emerson
Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
Moab is my Washpot by Stephen Fry
The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
Blink by Malcolm Gladwell
Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell
What the Dog Saw by Malcolm Gladwell
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Across the Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn
Grass for His Pillow by Lian Hearn
(+3 more)

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez
Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Hatchet by Gary Poulsen
The Colour of Magic, by Terry Pratchett
The Light Fantastic, by Terry Pratchett
(+36(!!) more)

Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman
Nation, by Terry Pratchett
Harry Potter & the Philosopher's Stone by JK Rowling
Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling
(+5 more)

The Hobbit by JRR Tolkien
Walking by Henry David Thoreau
Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
The Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon


To Read:

Clash of Fundamentalisms by Tariq Ali
The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom
The Inferno by Dante Alighieri
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
Metaphysics by Aristotle
Physics by Aristotle
Politics by Aristotle
Rhetoric by Aristotle
Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis
Class Warfare by Noam Chomsky
Deterring Democracy by Noam Chomsky
Failed States: The Abuse of Power and the Assault on Democracy by Noam Chomsky
Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media by Noam Chomsky
Necessary Illusions by Noam Chomsky
World Orders Old and New by Noam Chomsky
The Fateful Triangle by Noam Chomsky
The Responsibility of Intellectuals by Noam Chomsky
Existentialism for Beginners by Richard Cogswell
Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
Gaza: The Crossroads of History by Richard Doughty
Politics and Justice by Frederick Douglas
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
An Unexpected Light: Travels in Afghanistan by Jason Elliot
Manifesto of the Communist Party by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
To Have or to Be? by Erich Fromm
The Luxe by Anna Godbersen
A Little History of the World by Gombrich
Mathematics: From the Birth of Numbers by Jan Gullberg
The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid
The Tragedy of the Commons by Garrett Hardin
Tess of the D'urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
Zanzibar Chest by Aidan Hartley
Elements of the Philosophy of Right by Hegel
Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
The Other Side of the Bridge by Mary Lawson
Heaven's Net is Wide by Lian Hearn
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli
Sword of Darkness by Kinley Macgregor
The Cairo Trilogy by Naguib Mahfouz
I3tirafat al 3oshaq by Mustafa Mahmood
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson & David Relin
A Bend in the River by V. S. Naipaul
The Allegory of the Cave by Plato
The Republic by Plato
Educating Rita by Willy Russell
Mayada by Jean Sasson
The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith
The Poet of Baghdad by Jo Tatchell
Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau
Herald of Freedom by Henry David Thoreau
Life Without Principle by Henry David Thoreau
Night and Moonlight by Henry David Thoreau
The Battle of the Ants by Henry David Thoreau
Why I Went To The Woods by Henry David Thoreau
The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist by Robert Tressell
The Art of War by Sun Tzu
The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism by Max Weber
A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn

21 comments:

  1. The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Totally forgot Gladwell - have read all three of his books. Loved them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I am long overdue on readings! But atleast your list gives me somewhere to begin :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mathematics: From the birth of numbers by Jan Gullberg

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read but one out of your 'top favorites' list-and it's actually on my 'least fav' list. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Intriguing. Which one was it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol. I know of that one. I'd be more worried if you read, say, 5 and ended up disliking all five.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that would be pretty funny. I've wanted to read Walden, because you've mentioned it quite alot, but as of now, I'm still getting through my exams-and then I have a few non-fictions I must read-but I'll see to squeeze it into there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome! I cannot recommend it enough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. grrr...grammar. Thank you. Good book, would you say?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely a good book, though it's not something I'd expect a man to read haha. Keeps you hooked, I couldn't put it down. Well written with a captivating storyline. Seems to be very different from the other titles on the list.

    To Kill A Mockingbird is on my list too haha.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I can tell you that it wasn't recommended by a male.

    Interesting...I have (more than) enough to read right now, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No surprises there, it's a romantic love story...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Is there any other kind? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. imran. hey. how are you? i suddenly thought of you and your blog at 1.30 in the morning. I need a little prayers. If you could perhaps remember me in your dua. it would mean the world.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I second the Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo. Awesome book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope you're well.

    ReplyDelete