Wednesday, 14 October 2009

What happens next?

So....

I've decided not to pursue a career in law. Whilst the loss of a potentially high earning career would devastate some, I'm really not that bothered. I don't think I ever really, really liked law in the first place...my intentions in picking it were somewhat mercenary. It's not all bad though, as I've come out with a decent looking 2:1, which will impress those who care about such things (but if you look closer, its not that impressive), and have good A Level grades. My decision right now seems final, and for all I know, it probably is, but a law degree remains current for 9 years, so I have until then before that career option truly shuts down.

But the option not to pick a career that would have taken up the next four years of my life has liberated me. All of a sudden, the four years I would have put into becoming a lawyer are mine again - and I don't know what to do with them.

Marriage is out, after a brief dalliance with someone for whom I was no good, and who likewise was not good for me, which again leaves me unusually with no plans in that regard, for I always assumed I'd be married at 22. Not that I would have been any good as a husband just now...it seems like I needed to be woken up from a happily-ever-after daydream.

So what does happen next?

Well, I can do anything. I know I can. But I need to settle on doing something, or I will end up doing nothing. I've whittled it down to these for now. By the way, I am working through the problem as I write, so what you see here is the flow of my thoughts. Anyway, the choices are:

Ordinary job
Graduate level job
Another degree.
Relocation.
Seminary.
Enterprise.

An ordinary job seems to me to be the most simple way forward...start at the lowest position in some industry and work my way up the corporate ladder. I'm not too fussed about the money, just want something that will pay the bills.

Graduate positions are tougher to get, but worth it in terms of salary. The additional comfort this would bring into my life is undoubted, but I know I can do without. I'm not sure I want to go for one, but I know I can, should I ever have to.

Another degree. Now this would be awesome. If I did this, I'd do something I really love, like maths, or philosophy, or economics. Something rigorous and mentally challenging. If only I had chosen these first time round, instead of being so mercenary.

Relocation appeals to me because every now and then I just think how wonderful it would be to just dump everything and go abroad somewhere, and forge a new life. If I ever had a choice, it would be Canada or Australia, and maybe a Scandinavian country like Sweden as a third choice.

Seminary is by far and away the option that appeals most to me. To pack everything away and go spend a year or more in Najaf or Qum... that would be bliss.

Enterprise? Well I am a khoja. Admittedly, I haven't done well on that count, but you never know. I will say that of the ones I think least likely to happen, this is the one I deem most unlikely. But I list it as a possibility for now.

So...

The ones that appeal to me most are relocation and seminary. If only I could. But I can't just yet. I want to clear all my student debts before I do anything.

But to do that...I need to work. Which makes my choice clear. Work for a while, either at an ordinary job, or a graduate one. In the meantime, I can focus again on skill acquisition on the side like I've already planned, and pare down my possessions to minimalism.

So yeah...that's what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment