Tuesday, 1 July 2014

Reflections on Sweden (2012) and Switzerland (2014)

I am lucky to have visited both Sweden and Switzerland in a comparatively short space of time. Sweden I spent a month there, and Switzerland 3 days, but I loved every second of being in both countries. They are amazing.

I was there on holiday for both, and I know that being there on leisure has the ability to romanticise a place, but I genuinely felt like moving there if possible in the near future. And now I have my favourite spots to visit in either county; If you ever head over to Sweden and are in Stockholm or nearby, please do make the effort to visit Sigtuna. And if you happen to be in Zürich, or in the German part of Switzerland, make the effort to go to Unterterzen. Both are amazingly beautiful places next to calm and clear bodies of water. What you do when getting there is entirely up to you, but if the opportunity was given to me, I would just sit by the waterside and reflect.

They are both politically neutral countries, and both relatively expensive to live in compared to the UK, but I like how they are run. Sweden is socialist-leaning capitalism done right, and Switzerland, slightly less so, with very powerful direct-democracy built into the constitution, and a good example of how to run a federal state. And should I feel out of place, both have small Khoja communities if you know where to look, or who to ask. Also, as a (literal) sweetener, both countries have excellent chocolate heritage - Sweden has Marabou, and Switzerland has Lindt.

With Sweden, the option was there for me to leave everything in the UK behind and start a new life over, completely. And it was offered to me, time and again. And again. By everyone who I came in contact with. And given where I was in 2012, and my own state, it was definitely a tempting option. I turned it down because I felt I had "unfinished business" to attend to in the UK, and I stand by my decision, even with two years worth of hindsight.

With Switzerland, however, even though I am fully aware of what I need to do at this point in my life,  and knowing I had to return back to the UK, I was tempted even more to just throw everything in and just leave. It's that much of an amazing place.

*sigh*

I'm back in the UK now, but my heart is given to other places. Sweden and Switzerland, yes for sure. Iraq, a million times over. and a few other places.

I guess if there is only one reason why I'm writing this post, it is this: Travel broadens one. I don't know where I will head to next, or when, but I can't wait to visit it, wherever it is.

-------------

Shahr Ramadhan Kareem to my handful of regular visitors. I hope you gain much in this month, and hold on to those gains after the blessed month has passed, inshaAllah.

4 comments:

  1. Ramadan Mubarak Imran. Lovely photos - and a nice little post. Traveling certainly does.
    eltemase dua

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) You lucky duck. Both those countries are on my highest-urgency travel list. If I ever get a chance to go (God willing), I'll come back to this post and reread your suggestions. I'm glad you had such a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're alive!!!! And yes, you must definitely go if the opportunity arises.

      Thank you. I genuinely wish I have the chance to go to each of these again for longer. InshaAllah soon.

      Delete