Tuesday, 22 November 2011

...

Fumbling fingers
Reach into the pocket
Slowly grasp the wallet
Gently take it out

Fumbling fingers
Wizened by age
Flip past the cards
Ignoring new-age money

Fumbling fingers
Reach for the scrap
Aged, lined paper
Hiding in secret

Fumbling fingers
Slowly unfurl 
Gently, carefully
Let me read

"I love you"

Tired eyes see
Old brain remembers
Memories sparking memories
All those years ago

Things come and go
But this paper is kept
The first of its kind
The best of its kind

Discovered in surprise
A love-note left
By the other half
Of his soul.

Fumbling fingers
Trembling gently
Fold and put away
His prized posession

1 comment:

  1. It's been a while since I stopped by, mostly because I've not been tending as regularly to my blog, but glad I dropped by now and caught this beautiful poignant poem.

    Like the repetition and the nostalgia it manages to encapsulate. Well done.

    ReplyDelete