It was my intention that this post would be the last one of 2010, and thus be my 100th for that year. No matter - this will now the first post of 2011, and I hope to continue posting away throughout the year. Again, like last year, the new year period for the Islamic and Gregorian calendars overlap, and both lend themselves to a sense of reflection, and a hope for renewal, and (re)generative growth. What's been bugging me are the ideas I laid down in the attention post. What I choose now will be intensely important, as these then become my areas of focus for the upcoming year, largely to the exclusion of pretty much all else. So I have to make sure that they are worth doing to the exclusion of all others, and be sure that if I achieved these, and these only, I would be happy, no matter what.
Financial
I have a deep hatred of two things. One of them is debt, and the second is debt with interest. These hates are secondary, and they flow from me hating the idea of dying in debt, and my family consequently burdened by them. I've always felt this way, but my Series on Materialism brought this to the fore (also, if you haven't done so, I recommend you read that series. I think it my best writing to date). And so, since October-ish, I've been clearing my debts, one by one, and gradually a sense of peace is coming to me. I look back at the progress made in just a few months, and I am happy. In more than one way, debt to me is a limiter, a restrainer, and affects the choices available to me at any one time. As such, clearing debt to me would not feel like growth, but rather something that needs to be done as a precondition to true growth.
Procrastination
It is too easy to completely waste the gift of time by filling it with rubbish. To this end, I'm going to make sure that, as every day progresses, I waste less and less time. This is going to probably be the toughest of the lot. Nevertheless, i want to, by the time this year is over, waste not a single second of my waking moments. The key here is being fully engaged in all that you do, and not therefore living some aspects of your life under a kind of autopilot. I want to be more clear in what I mean by this, but can't come up with examples, or metaphors that extend themselves enough to encompass what I mean to achieve. I'll lay down an indicator though - when each day is done, I want to be able to say, eventually, that there was no way I could have spent my time better. That's the target, and it's a big one, and hopefully iterative and conscientious applications of the indicator help me towards this goal. inshaAllah.
Minimalism
I am still committed to this, but will approach the goal differently. My house is not my own, nor are all of the possessions in it. As such, any wide-ranging changes I hoped to make in this area last year were quashed, and though I made enough progress to be satisfied with, the obstacles to my goal warranted a re-think of strategy. Consequently, this year I will focus exclusively on my own stuff, and see where I can pare down my possessions to the minimum possible. To this end, I'm going to dedicate at least an hour a week to clearing out stuff, which over the year will add up to 50-odd hours, inshaAllah. If I can finally get round to doing that inventory that I've been meaning to do, that would be a bonus as well.
The above three kinda mesh in a holistic way, if looked at correctly. For a while now, I have felt like an insect trapped in the spider's web that is this world, and feel that extricating myself in the best way possible requires a large amount of tact, delicacy, and forethought (another metaphor is available, but I think the soul-as-trapped-bird has been done enough times in mystical poetry), and in achieving these three I will be able to both focus on the afterlife more than I am now, and one by one, cut the cords that tie me to this one.
Other Stuff
I have some other focus points for the year, but these are not set as much in stone - I consider these to be "paths to explore", rather than "paths laid down". As such, I will give time and attention to them, but I may find eventually that time and attention is better spent elsewhere, and decide to pause the exploration, or abandon it altogether, without feeling that I should rigidly stick to a path that may not be right for me.
Stuff like this includes:
- Learning how to code. Languages would be HTML, CSS, C, and Objective-C (for iOS devices)
- Learning to drive. Is it time yet? Maybe.
- More travelling.
- Optimising/tweaking various aspects of life. This may or may not be a law of diminishing returns.
And so on. There may be others I haven't thought of yet.
The missing area
Religion/spirituality is conspicuous by its absence on this list. Suffice to say I have plans in this areas, but will not lay them down on paper for now. These remain with me, for the time being. Also, it makes little sense for me to post them now, because I've kinda already started in this area, from early Muharram. Anyway, if I see fit to write them down in a later post, I promise to do exactly that, and update this post.
----------------
So that's it. 3 goals, or 3 facets of the same goal, and one hidden goal. Last year I made 8 resolutions, and achieved half of them, and was satisfied. This year, I make 4, and will be over the moon if I achieve only half again.
Onwards and upwards, inshaAllah.
6 years ago

Good luck :) inshalla a successful year ahead (late new year wishes I know, but better late than never, right?)
ReplyDeleteYup, 10 days from the start is orders or magnitude better than 10 days from the end.
ReplyDeleteAnd thank you
Salams,
ReplyDeleteWhen will you be putting a new topic up next? I miss reading them :)
Take care
Soon, iA
ReplyDeleteI... , I mean, ..we.., miss you!
ReplyDeletehopefully within the next seven days. I have some ideas brewing....
ReplyDelete