Monday, 6 July 2009

Ubuntu/Linux

So, I finally stopped sitting on the fence and got rid of Ubuntu from my brother's computer. This was helped by the fact that I unwittingly installed two versions of Ubuntu on the same computer - lol. The boot screen was a mess, offering me two versions of Vista, two of Ubuntu 8.04, and two of Ubuntu 9.04, as well as the security backup drive - 7 to choose from!!

So in the end, after doing some web research, I downloaded SuperGrub, and used it to fix the bootloader, and then went and deleted all the Ubuntu partitions. Then I installed Ubuntu again, just to see how wubi works. Wubi, is by far and away the best way for newbies to see Ubuntu first hand, without compromising their system...It installs Ubuntu as a program within Windows, and thus allows for an incredibly easy uninstall as well, should the person decide that they don't want Ubuntu anymore - no messing with the bootloader... nothing. Remarkably ingenious idea, and one which people should have seen earlier.

Anyways, after installing Ubuntu (again), I decided to get rid of it (again). The reason for doing so in my case is stunningly simple...Ubuntu is an incredible solution, but to a problem I do not have, therefore I do not need it.

I don't need a computer with a brilliant, easy to use, non-Windows interface, which allows me to do exactly what I want, and never crashes...because I already have one...my mac . If however, my mac were to die tomorrow, I would definitely install Ubuntu and be quite happy to use it in preference over Windows, at least until Windows 7 comes out

No comments:

Post a Comment