Saturday, 15 October 2011

The Minimalist Wardrobe Formula

How many clothes does a dude need? I mean really, give me an actual number here. Not counting socks and other small items of clothing, and accessories like wallets and belts and jewellery (more on jewellery later).

I’ve gone on and on and on about minimalism. And its not been just words. There has been some action too, and I am mostly pleased with it.

But now, I intend to approach one facet of my life in a more holistic way. Clothing. Whilst I don’t obsess over how I look infront of the mirror everyday, I accept that part of the reality of this world is that you are judged on appearance. And part of your responsibility as a Muslim is that you make sure that Muslims don’t have a bad image as a result of your actions, or the way that you dress.

We have hadith from our Prophet and Imams that they used to dress respectably, modestly, but were not extravagant, and did not have lots of clothes. So that’s the model for me to follow, obviously.

But I find myself straying every now and then. A football shirt here, a nerdy geek-chic T-shirt with a snarky inside joke there, a significant period of wanting a hat like what Matt Bomer wears in White Collar (I didn’t get one, but I did come very close), a one size fits all belt (I love these), my collection of performance base layers (ditto) and so on. And soon the limited space I have for clothes is bulging again. Thank God I wasn’t born female, eh? Then we’d have to discuss shoes, and thankfully, here I am happy with what I have, and what I do not have.

What I’m going in search of now is something so simple I feel stupid for not seeking it earlier. I’m going to hunt for a formula. An algebraic one. Yes, its a bit nerdy (or a lot nerdy, actually) but it might just work. A mathematical relationship between the different types of clothing it is necessary to own, from which I can work out the minimum necessary to get by. And it could be liberative - once I hit my quota, so to speak, if I want anything more, I know I'll have to either make space by getting rid of something, or do without.

I don’t expect to get it right first time. More like an iterative process. But I will get it right over time. Wish me luck. I think I’m honestly onto something here. This could be great...


Jewellery

Jewellery is a special thing. More than clothing, jewellery beautifies the self, and also, we have wonderful hadiths describing the spiritual value and benefits of certain rings. I won't have any formula here. It feels wrong.

I have mixed results here. I used to wear a silver chain with a dhulfiqar pendant. I loved it, almost like it became part of my Shia identity. Those who knew treated me special, and I’m quite sure I once got a free coffee just because someone saw my pendant. Same goes for an aluminium bracelet I used to wear that was engraved with the verse of the throne (Ayatul Kursi). But three years ago I stopped wearing both. Its like I was taking advantage of it, and shame made me stop. In any case, I’m not sure I have them at hand anyway. I haven’t seen them for years.

I have a different history with rings. Them and me don’t get on. I’ve always felt maybe they were ashamed to have me wear them, strange as it sounds. I have carcasses and shells of quite a few rings with me, where the stones have fallen out, and in one bizzare case, a work accident squashed one so badly it snapped (the stone fell out of that one too). I still love them though, and I’ll continue to get more as time goes on. Maybe my luck will change.

8 comments:

  1. When you figure out the formula, let me know, thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salaam alaikum,
    Good piece. Reminded me of this hadith of Imam Sadiq (as): "The most decorative clothing for the believer is the clothing of taqwa, and the finest one is faith. Allah, the Almighty and Glorified, said: 'and the clothing of taqwa, that is the best.'

    I especially liked the part about how others judgement of our appearance affects us. I remember hearing about an incident which happened to an 3alim in my area. A person once went to visit him, and found him dressed as a servant would dress, very simply, not with the robes and turban typical of 3alims. So he addressed the 3alim in a rather disrespectful tone and asked him to fetch his master (he had assumed this was the 3alims servant). The 3alim responded that he would, and finished sweeping his yard, then went indoors. He emerged a short while later dressed in the full scholarly regalia, and said to the person, yes? I hear you summoned me. The person was pretty embarassed and said he had a question to ask the 3alim, and the 3alim responded: you can ask my clothes, they will be able to answer you better. (i.e if its the clothes that make me worthy of your respect and reverance, then they are the source of that knowledge and respect,and should therefore answer your questions. lol)

    On the jewellery bit.. I expected your reasons for not wearing the two anymore to be quite different as I read. Interesting nonetheless.

    Do let us know when you get the formula just right. Should be worth a read.
    Salam alaikum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Habibi, lovely story! What a great man.

    as for Imran, good luck! The simpler a man is, the better.

    I love the idea of giving something away, when getting a new thing. Perhaps I'll try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all. If I ever work it out, I will definitely post it.

    thank you especially for your comment, Habib

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice story Habib. Clothes are indeed our only indirect communication with the world. But I wonder sometimes if dressing "simply" always conveys a positive message towards Islam? Where do you draw the line between wearing something according to your own style (given that it is appropriate, loose fitted clothing) to wearing something as simple as an abaya? Some people may take a different slant and think that Islam has no space for fun, or creativity and such. But then again, dress doesn't always portray demeanour. Someone could be dressed in the most extravagant clothing and have the most introverted personality.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Penumbra: That is an interesting perspective. I don't think "simplicity" is quite a universal standard as it seems. For the most part, it is quite a subjective standard, greatly impacted by our cultures, backgrounds, personal preferences. For example: Are all abayas "simple"? Do all people wear Abayas for the sake of simplicity and modesty, or is it a cultural thing? Are abayas also about the convenience of not having to bother about what to wear each time you want to go out? Coming from an area where wearing an abaya is a MUST when you go outdoors, yet it is not frowned upon to relax/not observe hijaab indoors infront of na mahram "close relatives", or where wearing a niqaab is for a lot of people, part of a pre-wedding ritual, and an indicator that you are engaged.
    For me, Abaya, Niqab and Simplicity are what i consider "my style", and it makes me happy that "my style" doesnt need to change each time a new look comes into town.
    That being said, I think what we all strive for, or should strive for, is to ensure that our 'libaas at-taqwa' is impeccable, the rest of our fashion concerns will fall into place automatically then.
    salam alaikum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I gotta love the effect this post is having on my female readers.

    Please continue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Next time write one on shoes Imran .. the reaction should be sky high. lol.

    ReplyDelete