Monday, 26 September 2011

Further Reflections on My Previous Post

On the Labels

To be quite honest, I never accepted really accepted the labels. I have refused to allow myself to be called a poet, and a writer, and a designer, preferring instead to be referred to as "someone who does poetry/writing/art". Maybe I still wanted to be thought of as one anyway. Maybe it was a mixture of false modesty and riya' *. And if that's the case…well then maybe it's a good thing that I've come to the realisation I did.

Positives

I sound negative in my last post... and that's because I kinda was. But it doesn't have to be. There may be positives, and I think these should be celebrated too. If I am what I repeatedly do, then alongside looking at what I no longer do, I probably should look at my most regular actions. Alhamdulillah, there are many positive things that I repeatedly do. And few negatives. Which I'm cutting down on (especially one major one, which I think I've finally beaten)

----

So, not too bad.

* riya' - the act of simulation, of making yourself look better than you are, for the purposes of seeking approval of the people of this world. Imam Khomeini gives a detailed exposition in his book 40 Hadith, and perhaps it's worth reflecting on why he places it at the very front of the book.

6 comments:

  1. curiosity almost always gets the best of her-which..major.. negativity did you give up my friend? if not too personal and/or private-please do share! Perhaps I too might abandon it-if it's grips is on me.

    merci!

    ps:hoping you're great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sadly, it shames me too much to reveal it...it is enough for me that Allah has been merciful enough to cloak it.

    thank you for asking though. I am good, alhamd and I likewise hope you too are doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. apologies for asking. Happy for you-being able to wave goodbye-enshallah forever, to it.

    a little less than great-but enshalah, life will pick itself up for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. iA. And I hope so too...your blog has been quite sad of late...

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah..hmm i don't know. I don't know what i want in life. and each time, i feel im getting a little closer to .god..i regress a million steps back...

    on an another note-im not a too big fan of buhu, also, i haven't been on my blog for sometime, and sometimes i feel something and express it, but regret it heaps later. so-i looked back and thought, what in gods world was i thinking-it's edited.

    aalsoo, i'll show you something awesome later, buut i just need to finish off something first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are not alone there ...

    Fair enough lol. And sure, get it done.

    ReplyDelete