Saturday, 11 June 2011

Late Working

I've just finished a week of night shifts. Most interesting. The shop where I worked was being refurbished, and in order to minimise disruption to trading during the day, it was decided that I would stay behind with the contractors, supervise them, and lock up afterward. Such are the joys of being a Responsible Person. Of course, I will be remunerated adequately, but this post isn't about that.

What I was most impressed with was the quality of the guys who worked. They were craftsmen. There is no other way to put it. The person I liked most was the foreman, a great hulk of a man, and a Russian to boot. He was like a jack of all trades, able to help with electrical, mechanical, painting, joinery, whatever. And yet, always in charge, and still able to crack a joke with the workers every now and then.

And from this I have another resolution. Eventually, because I know it won't happen soon, I want to be more involved with building/ DIY. I have already assembled a large amount of the furniture in my own home, but I want to be able to do more.

Like I said, eventually. No rush for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment