Wednesday, 27 January 2010

On Heroism

The days of the epic-warrior type of hero are gone. No more will there be lone warriors who vanquish whole armies with nothing but sword and shield. Technology has seen to that, and weaponry takes primacy over physical strength.

But yet we love to hear the stories of heroes, be they fictional or real. And this is because all heros have some element in their character, that we identify with, or wish to identify with. It could be nobility, or wisdom, or justice, but I think that it is courage. The lack of fear in the face of overwhelming odds is something I personally know I would not have, were I to be placed in such situations.

But one doesn't need to be on a battlefield to show courage. I keep on forgetting that, but I know that courage can be, and indeed should be present in every moment of your life. We can all be heroes, were we to stick to our principles every minute of every day (Of course, it would help were I able to remember them every minute if every day). Surely every decision, every moment has the choice between black and white, and good and bad. And if the good choice is the harder one, then courage is required, in whatever amount.

And that's what I lack. When I live life in a sort of automatic mode, not thinking. When I'm conscious of what I'm doing, yet take the easy path.

Yes, that's what I lack. And so heroism will elude me.

No comments:

Post a Comment