Salams
So I read somewhere about going for a presence walk. It sounded like a good idea at the time, and I was able to put it into practice a few weeks ago.
So I came our of class quite late on a Tuesday, and decided to give it a go. I had nothing to lose, as i was only walking about 10 mins or so to where my lift was going to be waiting for me.
As soon as I started, I immediately noticed that my footsteps were too loud. not good. So I changed to near-silent pacing, remembering the hadith about how the earth admonishes the son of Adam on walking with pride.
All in a second.
I walk carefully, up a flight of stairs, and then another. I hear the sound of two people coming form behind me and overtaking me, for I have also slowed from my normal brisk pace to a more serene one. I can tell they are female from the sound their shoes make on the concrete. I'm keeping my gaze lowered until they pass. I feel some cool breeze on my cheek, and as I turn round a corner, the breeze increases. I like it.
I began wondering about how I was going to write this up. Then I realise that this isn't why I am doing the presence walk. So I force the thought to the back of my mind, and focus again on the world around me.
Again, all in a second.
It starts to drizzle lightly, but I'm not that worried worried about getting wet. I feel the drops falling on the only exposed part of my body, my head.
I feel very alert, and feel also that I should be offering praises and doing some dhikr. But Im not sure if doing so would affect the presence walk. After a few seconds of indecision, where I still haven't decided on an answer, I do some anyway, under my breath.
I walk past the SportsPark, and as I walk past the astroturf, I hear the unmistakeable sound of a football hitting a goalpost, or the crossbar. The rain picks up slightly, and I finish my journey where my lift is waiting for me.
****
This was well over two weeks ago, and I'm still surprised at how much I remember. I also don't know why my narrative morphed from past tense to present participle, but it feels better that way. I really felt awake during this walk, so insha Allah I'll be able to do another time soon.
6 years ago

I could picture that so clearly in my mind.
ReplyDeleteI loved this! Probably because I have instant recognition of having done the same, except I didn't realise there was a name for it (hadn't heard about 'presence walk' til I've read it here)
ReplyDeleteI think that's the point I was trying to make in my post here http://hijackmyheart.com/2010/06/anchor-your-mind-to-the-present/
Once I tried with just focusing on one aspect of the senses, listening: http://hijackmyheart.com/2010/07/when-my-ears-travel-home/
Wow. Those are brilliant. And yes, I got 'Presence walk' from another blog.
ReplyDeleteMethinks its time to do another soon....